Sunday, August 31, 2014

Thoughts on the EDG's first AR-15 (build).

Sure, you could go all medieval on it like this guy and build your own "Assault Weapon" from a gardening tool (which is frickin' awesome by the way), but let's be honest, when it comes to putting together a modern, self-loading rifle, the AR-15 platform takes the cake. Now, while starting a little earlier in the process and building from an 80% lower receiver is something I am interested in doing at some point, it makes a ton of sense for a first time AR owner to build from a stripped lower.


So, about a week, maybe 2 weeks ago I started thinking through the possibility of doing just that...
As a part of my regular daily research, the first place I searched was over at TTAG where I found this post by Nick Leghorn as a starting point for for my build. There's 2 major reasons to do it this way imho. Cost: Not that I can get it significantly cheaper than others out there, but I can make sure the money goes where I want it. I don't need no $60 Ergo Grip with a giant Pog slammer stuck to the bottom, I don't need a $250 match trigger, but I most definitely do need iron sights. Familiarity: It makes a huge difference to my wife for her level of confidence and comfort with any tool if she understands what makes it work. So if we build it from the ground up, it should instantly give her a sense of buy-in/ownership and familiarity.


So, as background, I started with Nick's suggestions and browsed through Brownell's and MidwayUSA at the same type of products until I either decided I was satisfied with the part he had chosen at the price point, or I found something I liked better. Secondly, a big key for this build is that it is going to be my wife's dedicated carbine build, so no long barrels or gas systems, no heavy rail systems, and, where I can get away with it, specifically light-weight parts. Also, since I'm just an everyday guy without tons of extra cash laying around, it was imperative that the cost was kept competitive with the baseline models out there on the market (i.e. $800 or less preferably, definitely under 1k). Also, first build = using a completed upper.


Complete Upper: $432.99 Del-Ton 16" with a carbine gas system and 1 in 9 twist. The exact upper Nick suggested. Also considered the Del-Ton Dissipator (weight restrictions) and a CMMG Free Float (price restrictions).

Stripper Lower: $125 Aero Precision stripped with Magpul MOE grip and in Tungsten Cerakote. Also considered Spike's Tactical for a lower, but I knew Mrs. EDG wouldn't think the Punisher skull was quite as cool as I... Adding the Magpul grip for $15 is just saving a few bucks off an inevitable upgrade. Also, the wife chose the Tungsten color. (Maybe because it matches my wedding ring? *aaawwwwww*)


Parts Kit: $69.99 ALG parts kit with QMS Trigger. I was gonna be paying $60 for a DPMS parts kit anyhow, this way I get an "improved" trigger and I only pay $10 more.

Buffer Assembly: $39.99 Brownell's Extension Assembly. Maybe I'm missing something, but these all seem pretty much identical. So a cheap one from Brownell's fits the bill just fine.

Buttstock: $47.99 Mission First Minimalist Collapsible (maybe in gray to match the receiver?). One of the items I'm still the most wishy-washy on. A standard type would probably be fine, or either the Magpul MOE or CTR versions look nice. However, I've been told the standard and even the MOE tend to have a little "wiggle". So at that point I can get a stock a hair lighter, that has great reviews, and for $12 less than the CTR.

Irons: $57.95 Magpul Back-Up Sight - Rear (Stealth Gray). The upper comes with a front sight post, so only a rear sight is needed. A permanent sight might be better, but the price is right and I'd intend to get an optic anyhow.

Essential "Extras": 20rd Magpul Gen 3 Mags $13.25 (20 rounders for weight concerns), Primary Arms Micro Dot w/Riser $89.98, WotG Proctor Sling $29.99.


So there it is. $773.91 for the rifle itself, before shipping and the FFL fee. Not bad for a rig with a polished trigger, upgraded grip, minimalist stock, Cerakoted lower, and backup irons in place. Now, it's your turn. Tell me what I'm missing, what I need to replace, and if this is gonna be more or less work than I'm expecting.

Don't forget to watch our videos over on Youtube!

1 comment:

  1. "Rob" in Texas has a friend who is EXTREMELY experienced in AR platform rifles (both builds and off-the-shelf), and sent me his comments on the build. Thought it was just the type of feedback the Everyday AR buyer would want to know, so I figured I'd add it as a comment here. No changes to the original text, just a copy paste.


    "I’ve built several rifles with Del-Ton uppers (one for my father, one for a friend, and two for myself). They have always functioned well and they are accurate as well.
    Nice lower and good grip choice. I have MOE or MIAD grips on almost all of my AR’s.

    Hard to beat the trigger for the price point. I’ve read good things about it, and I imagine the parts kit should be solid as well. I don’t have any personal experience with that trigger, but I’ve got a Geissele in my 300Blackout SBR and it’s amazing.
    I don’t have any experience with the Mission First buttstock. I’ve got MOE and CTR stocks on all but two of my rifles (those have a fixed A2 style stock and a Slidefire stock).

    Can’t go wrong with Magpul BUIS. I have Troy sights on most of my rifles, but I use Magpul on a couple guns and they work fine.

    Good magazine choice (although I’m still partial to the older 20 round Magpul mags that were straight instead of curved). I’ve got several Primary Arms Microdots with the American Defense quick release mount. It’s a great sight for the money. I don’t have any experience with the sling. I use Blue Force Gear’s Vickers Sling on all my rifles.

    His parts list should give him a solid gun."


    In followup, I'm gonna take another look at the Vicker's sling (had looked before but chose the Proctor for simplicity sake). Also, while I do like the staight 20rd mags, after some digging through the major suppliers, it appears that the Gen M2 20rd PMAGs are basically impossible to find... If you know where I can find them at a reasonable price, definitely let me know!

    ReplyDelete